The expansion and rehabilitation efforts of the Reading Bridges will upgrade and modernize Greater Reading’s bridge infrastructure. These projects along with the 422 West Shore Bypass Project will ensure efficient and safe travel.
- Buttonwood Street Bridge: Completed April 7, 2017
- Penn Street Bridge: Projected Completion – December 2019
- Bingaman Street Bridge
- Schuylkill Avenue Bridge
Penn Street Bridge
New Traffic Patterns Coming to the Penn Street Bridge
Penn Street Bridge – The US 422 west ramp to Penn Street is closed and detoured. The posted detour will utilize the Business 222/Lancaster Avenue exit to Bingaman Street and Fifth Street. Motorists who miss the Lancaster Avenue exit can use the North Wyomissing Boulevard exit to North Wyomissing Boulevard to Park Road to Penn Avenue/Penn Street. See the detour maps below.
The Penn Street Bridge will remain open during construction, but one of the two eastbound lanes will be restricted (heading into the City of Reading).
The bridge work is over 54.11% complete to date with total bridge anticipated to be completed in December 2019.
Click here to see a drone image of the work in progress on the Penn Street Bridge developed by Gannett Fleming, Inc.
Last infograph by Reading Eagle
Penn Street Bridge Rehabilitation Update – August 2017
Short term lane restrictions and lane shifts for westbound traffic on the Penn Street Bridge.
There will be short term lane restrictions for westbound traffic (leaving the City of Reading) utilizing the Penn Street Bridge beginning August 14, 2017 between the hours of 9 am and 3 pm. During the month of August, westbound traffic on the Penn Street Bridge will be shifted to the center lanes of the bridge and westbound traffic to US 422 West will be moved to a temporary ramp.
As with all construction events, inclement weather or other unforeseen events could cause a change to this schedule.
The first major traffic pattern change for the Penn Street Bridge Rehabilitation Project is underway.
Key changes to the existing traffic patterns currently in effect are described below:
- The US 422 west ramp to Penn Street (towards the City of Reading) is closed and detoured. The posted detour utilizes the Business 222/ Lancaster Avenue exit to Bingaman Street and Fifth Street. Motorists who miss the Lancaster Avenue exit can also use the North Wyomissing Boulevard exit to North Wyomissing Boulevard to Park Road to Penn Avenue/Penn Street. See the map below and Detours for more information. The ramp is anticipated to reopen to traffic in October 2019.
- Eastbound traffic (entering the City of Reading) across the Penn Street Bridge is reduced to one 11’ wide lane. The eastbound traffic will not return to two lanes of traffic until project completion, which is anticipated in December of 2019.
- Westbound traffic (leaving the City of Reading) across the Penn Street Bridge continues with two 11’ wide lanes until the last stages of the project.
- Pedestrian traffic is on the south side of the structure. Pedestrians will remain in this configuration until August of 2018.
As with all construction events, the closure date above is anticipated at this point in time. Inclement weather or other unforeseen events could cause a slight delay to this schedule